Peace, Socio-Economic Justice & Good Governance
Peace, Social-economic Justice and Good Governance program is one of the programs of CCT focusing on sensitizing CCT members and communities to the Government’s economic and social development policies through demystification and dissemination of information on key policy issues and reforms. Budget preparation, tracking and advocacy, promotion of social economic justices, transparency and accountability in the use of public resources, are some of the key areas of focus.
The program promote communities solidarity for peace, justice and good governance in more than six districts of Tanzania including, Bahi, Kilosa, Gairo, Same, Chunya and Geita, through advocacy, capacity building, tracking, networking and partnership, research and documentation.
MAIN AREAS OF FOCUS
- To promote sustainable peace in Tanzania at the community level
- To empower citizens to hold Government and duty barrier accountable
- Undertaking advocacy for good governance and public accountability
- Capacity building to the communities on understanding their social and economic rights.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
- In keeping with the council’s mission, the Peace, Social-economic Justice and Good Governance program foster the practices of governance to be transparent, accountable, responsive, and effective in promoting peace and social economic justice and currently the program operates in Kilosa, Bahi, Gairo, Same, Chunya and Geita districts.
- Enhance and sustain peaceful co-existence, respect for human rights and equitable participation in managing and sharing social, economic, political and cultural rights among the communities.
- Engage CCT members and the communities in lobbying and advocacy on Human Rights, good governance and challenging the unjust systems and structures through establishment of Public Expenditure Trucking Surveys (PETS) in six districts as mentioned above.
- Encourage the establishments of VICOBA for the community to sustain themselves economically.
- Advance democratic reforms and encourage government institutions to take steps to secure peace and social-economic justice
- Increase the capacity and responsive-ness of local governments, especially through greater input from citizens.
- To encourage government officials and the public to recognize and promote economic, social, and cultural rights as well as civil and political rights e.t.c
In the six mentioned districts of Tanzania, the Peace, Social-Economic Justice and Good Governance program under CCT have succeeded in establishing, managing and monitoring of PETS committee which follow-up how money sent for different projects are spent in local government. The program uses the Public Expenditure Trucking Surveys (PETS) as a tool and strategy to bring about transparency and accountability in the use of public resources.
|KILOSA & GAIRO||17||32|
The table above provides a summary of the number of villages with PETS committee in each district and the number of projects tracked to the end of December 2014.
The program also had trained and provide capacity building workshop for paralegals and members of IR-VICOBA on various social, economic rights and the results were tremendous. Advice and directions were given to the PETS committees and paralegals on integrating with VICOBA to their activities in order to sustain themselves economically.
17 hectares recovered by paralegals in Bahi District which were taken from farmers by the village council for the purposes of changing it to become a market place.
Therefore, through our program intervention in the community, members of communities are aware of their rights, how and where to claim them. The villages’ income and expenditure reports are now open to the villagers, thus some of the local leaders such as village chairmen who were irresponsible and embezzler of public fund were expelled from their offices. To a great extent the local leaders are now responsible and accountable.
FUTURE PLAN/ EXPECTATION
- To increase participation and engagement of the communities in contributing to the reduction of social and economic injustices, political instability, religion extremism and human insecurities and hence enhancing the Rule of Law, peace and security.
- To engage and integrate other districts in Tanzania to our activities.